Monday, March 1, 2010

串 串 串 儿- CHUANR

串儿
chuan-er

what is it? basically, it's grilled meat/vegetable/seafood on a stick...I guess you could say it's kind of like a Chinese shishkebab, but soaked in a lot more oil and spices..oh and grilled on a very unique looking grill. I should probably also mention that some 串 places or restaurants also use a hairdryer to..dry the meat? i actually have no idea why they use a hairdryer, but then again, China is full of surprises ;)


(my chicken skewers, min's 4 squids, more chicken + mantou (type of white bread))

Tadaaa! Doesn't look like anything special right? but wait until you try it,, so okay it isn't the classiest or healthiest snack to eat, but it's something you have to try while being in China! It's too bad I didn't enjoy eating 串儿 while living in Beijing because it's definitely a Beijing 小吃 xiao chi- snack. Some of my friends in Beijing used to sit outside of our dorm building at night,,drinking beer and eating 串儿. If I could, I would without a doubt go back in time and join them--now that I can appreciate the taste & culture of 串儿!
You must be dying to find out how it is prepared...right? :)

First, you choose which type of meat/vegetable/seafood you want to eat

mmmm, so much to choose from huh? Basically, these are the different types you can choose from : 牛肉(beef) 羊肉 (mutton) 鸡肉 (chicken) and then a bunch of meatballs, sausages, vegetables, and seafood. The beef, mutton, chicken are probably the most popular types of 串儿,
Some close up photos :


oh yeah! everything is frozen and then grilled-- did I mention you can also get an entire fish?


This is where they grill the 串 on-- they grill it for a while, spread some oil on it and then sprinkle their yummy special spices! If you come visit me in Shanghai, I"ll take you to the 串stand right outside of my dorm complex!Maybe not every night, but maybe every other night :) You will be able to experience the delicious taste of meat seasoned with pepper flakes and cumin seeds,,Chinese style. It's probably not the healthiest snack to have, but it's definitively a tasty one!

No comments:

Post a Comment